Current:Home > MarketsFederal officials will investigate Oklahoma school following nonbinary teenager’s death -NextGenWealth
Federal officials will investigate Oklahoma school following nonbinary teenager’s death
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 22:07:34
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Federal officials are opening an investigation into the Oklahoma school district where a nonbinary 16-year-old high school student was in a fight before dying last month, according to a letter sent by the U.S. Department of Education on Friday.
Nex Benedict, whose family says the teen was bullied at Owasso High School, died a day after the fight inside a girl’s bathroom at the school. According to family, Benedict identified as nonbinary and used they/them pronouns.
The letter revealing the investigation was addressed to the Human Rights Campaign, which had asked the the department to look into Owasso Public Schools and “its failure to respond appropriately to sex-based harassment that may have contributed to the tragic death.”
Police in the Tulsa suburb have not released a cause of death but have previously said that Benedict did not die as a result of injuries from the fight, which happened on Feb. 8.
The department’s Office For Civil Rights stated it would investigate whether the district “failed to appropriately respond to alleged harassment,” according to the letter, which makes no reference to Benedict.
Owasso Public Schools confirmed in a statement that the district received notice of the investigation and called the allegations unsupported and without merit.
“The district is committed to cooperating with federal officials,” the statement said.
Neither police nor school officials have said what led to the fight. But Benedict’s family has said there had been harassment because of the teen’s nonbinary identity.
“We appreciate the Department of Education responding to our complaint and opening an investigation — we need them to act urgently so there can be justice for Nex, and so that all students at Owasso High School and every school in Oklahoma can be safe from bullying, harassment, and discrimination,” Human Rights Campaign President Kelley Robinson said in a statement.
Benedict walked out of the bathroom after the Feb. 7 fight but was taken to a hospital by their family and sent home that night. Paramedics were dispatched to the home the following day for a medical emergency and took Benedict to a hospital emergency room, where they later died, police said.
Benedict’s mother, Sue Benedict, has said the teen suffered bruises all over their face and eyes in the fight involving a transgender student and three older girls.
The school district has said the students were in the restroom for less than two minutes before the fight was broken up by other students and a staff member.
veryGood! (23256)
Related
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Judge blocks Internet Archive from sharing copyrighted books
- New Paraguay president stresses South American country’s ties with Taiwan at swearing-in ceremony
- Mother of 6-year-old who shot Newport News teacher pleads guilty to Virginia charge
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Florida students and professors say a new law censors academic freedom. They’re suing to stop it
- Special prosecutor will examine actions of Georgia’s lieutenant governor in Trump election meddling
- CNN shakes up lineup with new shows for Chris Wallace, Abby Phillip, more
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Trump arraignment on Georgia charges will be in a court that allows cameras — unlike his other 3 indictments
Ranking
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Ziwe's book 'Black Friend: Essays' is coming this fall—here's how to preorder it
- Labor Day TV deals feature savings on Reviewed-approved screens from LG, Samsung and Sony
- Bruce Willis’ Wife Emma Heming Shares She’s “Not Good” and Feels “Doom and Gloom”
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Shania Twain to return to Las Vegas for third residency in 2024
- New York judge denies request for recusal from Trump criminal case
- Utah man accused of selling silver product as COVID-19 cure arrested after 3-year search
Recommendation
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Former ‘Family Feud’ contestant Timothy Bliefnick gets life for wife’s murder
Celebs' Real Names Revealed: Meghan Markle, Jason Sudeikis, Emma Stone and More
Magoo, Timbaland's former musical partner, dies at 50
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
2 Missouri moms charged with misdemeanors for children’s absences lose their court battle
No stranger to tragedy, Maui Police Chief John Pelletier led response to 2017 Vegas massacre
Michael Oher alleges 'Blind Side' family deceived him into conservatorship for financial gain